SP2010 Branding Tip #13 – Hiding the Recently Modified on Team Sites 7

I was asked today about hiding the Recently Modified menu from SharePoint 2010 Team sites. If you aren’t familiar with the menu, here is a screenshot of it:

image

I did some poking around and it seems that the wiki pages add to the PlaceHolderLeftActions of the master page. While you could remove the placeholder, I’m sure it is used for other things. The safer thing to do would be to hide the Recently Modified section like this:

<style type="text/css">
.s4-recentchanges { display: none; }
</style>

You can either add that to the master page or custom CSS for your SharePoint site or you could add it to an individual page as discussed here: http://blog.drisgill.com/2010/09/sp2010-branding-tip-12-hiding-quick.html

7 thoughts on “SP2010 Branding Tip #13 – Hiding the Recently Modified on Team Sites

1. Reply analise Oct 29,2010 3:49 pm

Great advice! It worked!

2. Reply Anonymous Jul 9,2012 3:09 am

PlaceHolderLeftActions is used to display Groups in Site Settings > Groups Section

3. Reply Alex Chen Feb 27,2014 2:35 am

Hi!

It worked, but strangely, it only worked for my login. When I’m logged in to my own Sharepoint account, “recently modified” is gone. But when other users log in to their accounts, it still shows up on theirs..

Any idea why?

Thank you!
    Alex

4. Reply Randy Drisgill Feb 27,2014 10:56 am

Alex, publish and approve whatever you added the CSS to

5. Reply Alex Chen Feb 27,2014 8:19 pm

Hi Randy,

I tried that already… cos I normally edit directly in Sharepoint Designer (the “edit page” function and “page” tab are disabled on our Sharepoint site, and I have no idea how to reactivate it. Any ideas?)

I tried this instead, and it worked:

Thanks!!

6. Reply Alex Chen Feb 27,2014 8:29 pm

My apologies, made an error on my last post.

For my company’s Sharepoint site, adding this:

.s4-recentchanges{ DISPLAY:none; }

to the tag of the .master file will populate it for the rest of the site except the home page. for the home page to not show “recently modified”, i had to code this directly to home.aspx itself:

7. Reply Alex Chen Feb 27,2014 8:37 pm

Oops… i think the comments are set not to accept html/css. modified my post.

For my company’s Sharepoint site, adding this:

.s4-recentchanges{ DISPLAY:none; }

to the head tag of the .master file will populate it for the rest of the site except the home page. for the home page to not show “recently modified”, i had to code this directly to home.aspx itself:

(div style=”display:none”)