SP2010 Branding Tip #9 – Turn on Anonymous Access 6

Ok, its not really a branding tip, but I’m on a roll here. In SharePoint 2010 if you want to setup your site to allow anonymous visitors, the process is much like it is in SharePoint 2007 except that the ribbon is now part of of the process. While I have really gotten used to the ribbon, this option I find particularly confusing. Just like in SharePoint 2007 the process begins in Central Administration, either you set the web application to Allow Anonymous access in the initial web application creation screen OR you need to set it afterward. If you are going to set it after, click on Manage Web Applications and select a web application from the list and take a look at the ribbon:

image

You might be inclined to click Anonymous Policy as I was initially but this does NOT allow you to turn on Anonymous access. Instead click Authentication Providers:

image

From this menu you select an Authentication Provider:

image

The from the next menu you can check Enable anonymous access:

image

After you click save, the web application will allow Anonymous access to be set, but you have to set this from the actual web application. So now, navigate to the top level site collection for the web application and click Site Actions > Site Settings > Site Permissions. From that menu you can click Anonymous Access:

image

From there select Entire Web Site and click OK:

image

That’s all you have to do, now the site will be available for browsing by anyone. Really only the first step is confusing compared to SharePoint 2007.

6 thoughts on “SP2010 Branding Tip #9 – Turn on Anonymous Access

1. Reply Anonymous Nov 28,2009 11:29 am

Very helpful – saved a lot of time. Could not just find the initial steps. I would have thought that it would have been a bit more inituitive. Odd you do not have to go to Anonymous policy.

[SP2010 has not been easy t install under VM for 2008R2]

Paul UK

2. Reply Anonymous Dec 6,2009 12:41 pm

Well, i did the steps. But it still asks for authorization (

3. Reply Marcelo Dec 8,2009 7:51 am

I don’t know why but the Authentication Providers button is disabled over here

4. Reply Randy Drisgill Dec 8,2009 12:02 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

5. Reply Luciano Apr 2,2010 6:58 pm

Thanks! Worked for me!

6. Reply Avahita Apr 20,2017 2:25 am

Hi , these steps are same in sharepoint 2013 . Can you help me about my problem with anonymous access in sharepoint 2013 :

I have a strange problem with anonymous access in my sitecollection in sharepoint 2013(in all sites collection were visual upgraded to 2013 or sitecollections that were created in farm 2013 from the begining ) I grant to anonymous user to see Entire web site.

I disabled this feature in site collection :”Limited-access user permission lockdown mode”

I created custom sharepoint list in my site and set all permission for anonymous user (check all permission can get)

when call this list by anonymous user creates items in list normally and without any problem but some activities by anonymous user get authentication where we don’t expect it.

you assume this items in the list:

1.item_createdbyInternaluser_1

2.item_createdbyInternaluser_2

3.item_createdbyExternaluser_1

4.item_createdbyExternaluser_2

when you call this list by anonymous user you can edit 1 and 2 but you can’t edit 3 and 4.(the authentication window appears) you assume to edit 1.

the items turns to below list:

1.item_createdbyInternaluser_1_editedbyAnonymoususer

2.item_createdbyInternaluser_2

3.item_createdbyExternaluser_1

4.item_createdbyExternaluser_2

after that, you can’t edit 1,3 and 4 but you can edit 2.Why?!!!!!this is very strange!!!!

it seems that the anonymous user steps in every page corrupts it. what’s the problem I don’t know what do I do????