My MSDN Article is live – “Real World Branding with SharePoint Server 2007 Publishing Sites” 9

I’m excited to announce that the SharePoint branding paper that I wrote with Andrew Connell has finally been published to the MSDN. I put a lot of effort into creating a paper that was concise (well it is pretty lengthy, but believe me I edited plenty of stuff out) while still covering all of the important topics related to creating a branded website in SharePoint 2007. In essence the article encompasses what I do on a daily basis when designing SharePoint websites (barring a few things that were too complex to delve into). The first half of the article focuses on planning for SharePoint branding and the second half focuses on actually creating and deploying the branded SharePoint files.

Real World Branding with SharePoint Server 2007 – Part 1

Real World Branding with SharePoint Server 2007 – Part 2

Also, for those of you that liked the previous Adventure Works site, this article features a new look and feel for the Adventure Works Travel web site. Check out the screenshot:

Adventure Works

Anyways, hopefully folks get a lot of value out of reading it. Let me know what you think of it.

9 thoughts on “My MSDN Article is live – “Real World Branding with SharePoint Server 2007 Publishing Sites”

1. Reply Tom Aug 5, 2009 2:21 pm

Looks great. Congratulations for getting this done and thanks for the contribution. I especially like that you used CSS and DIV’s for your layout.

2. Reply Madalina Aug 6, 2009 2:33 am

Congratulations!
    I liked that you kept the design simple and with the header image and layout you gave it the glow it needed.
    And reading your article, I was happy because my method is close to yours when I approach master page implementations.

3. Reply The Mossman Aug 6, 2009 2:55 am

Thanks everyone. Madalina you pretty much nailed the goal of the design. I wanted it to be simple enough for folks to be able to understand what is going on, while still having a nice look to prove that SharePoint can compete with any other modern CMS being used on the web.

4. Reply donavan.marais Aug 7, 2009 1:39 pm

Randy,

You have no idea how helpful your article is. I’m getting ready to design a Sharepoint site that requires rich branding and planning on using Silverlight 2. Thanks for the great tips. I can see why you’re a MVP! You’ve earned it..

Donavan
    @2browndogs

5. Reply Randy Drisgill Aug 7, 2009 1:58 pm

Thanks Donavan! I’m glad you like the article.

6. Reply rush0 Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm

Thank you very much for this one, extremely informative. Love the tutorial on deploying as a feature.

7. Reply Randy Drisgill Sep 29, 2009 3:21 pm

You can thank Andrew for that part. Glad you liked it and thanks for the note!

8. Reply Tonyp Oct 20, 2009 8:59 am

Great design! The image, colour scheme and uncluttered layout make it look mouth watering!

9. Reply Anonymous Dec 25, 2009 5:17 am

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
    And you et an account on Twitter?